- Printing from NON-ACTIVE DIRECTORY-BOUND Macs to a Windows print server (e.g., faa-print or faa-print2).
- All users of above systems
- Gather the following information for the networked printer: server URL, queue name, printer location, and printer model information/features. This information may be available on the PRINTING DOCUMENTATION PAGE FOR YOUR DEPARTMENT. If you cannot locate any of this information, please create an TECHNOLOGY SERVICES AT FAA HELP DESK HELP REQUEST.
- (If necessary) Download and install the appropriate driver for the printer. If your Mac is FULLY MANAGED or SEMI-MANAGED, the driver may already be installed. Please create an TECHNOLOGY SERVICES AT FAA HELP DESK HELP REQUEST if you need assistance.
- Open System Preferences.app.
- Click on "Print & Scan" and unlock the preference pane (if necessary).
- Click on "+" underneath the list of printers and select "Add Printer or Scanner..." in the menu that appears.
- An "Add" window will appear. If there is not already an "Advanced" button in its toolbar (on top, alongside "Default", "Fax", "IP", etc.), you'll need to customize the toolbar. Control+click on the toolbar area and select "Customize Toolbar...".
- Drag the "Advanced" item up onto the toolbar and click "Done".
- Click on the "Advanced" button.
- Then enter/select the following:
- Type: "Windows printer via spoolss"
- Device: "Another Device"
- URL: smb://<insert print server URL here>/<insert queue name here>
- Name: enter a descriptive name here (suggestion: include the queue name so that Technology Services at FAA can help troubleshoot later, if necessary)
- Location: enter the location for your reference
- Use: Generally select "Select Printer Software...", locate the appropriate driver for the printer, and click "OK".
(Reminder: Address, Queue, Location, and installed options for the printer may be available on the PRINTING DOCUMENTATION PAGE FOR YOUR DEPARTMENT. If you cannot locate any of this information, please create an TECHNOLOGY SERVICES AT FAA HELP DESK HELP REQUEST.)
- Click "Add".
- Configure the appropriate installed options for the printer, then click "OK".
- The first time you print, you will generally be prompted to authenticate with your Active Directory (AD) credentials. Please enter uofi\<netID> and your Active Directory password. You may save your credentials in your Keychain by first checking the appropriate box in the authentication window.